The Zoo


Everyone has a different opinion about zoos and because of my obvious passion for animals, at some point they usually ask me about mine. I like this picture because it depicts just how I feel about them.  Zoos are necessary yesterday and today but hopefully not tomorrow.  They educate and inspire the populous about all of the amazing species from around the world and what we should be doing to protect them.  In doing so, however, there are individuals of each species that must remain in captivity for the duration of their lives.  I do believe that animals have rights just as we do.  They should have the right to hunt their own prey, to fight for their own territories, and to choose their own mates, but those opportunities, more often than not, are not possible for zoo residents.  They sacrifice for the greater good.  I love this picture because, despite these choices denied this mother Amur tiger, she is still able to enjoy basking in the sun with her cubs.  The absence of such rights do not prevent her from having a quality life.  Moments like these ease the pain in my heart for these wild spirits held captive.

Comments

Popular Posts