Self Portraits I




People enquire about my ethnicity often.  I admit that I do not have a common look and I receive a broad range of answers when I ask people what they think I am.  The most common answer is Native American.  As far as I know I don't have an ounce of Native American blood running through these veins, but I can definitely see it.  More importantly I feel inspired by Native American culture because it beholds nature with the utmost respect and generosity.  Before the white man, they never abused the lands they occupied, they never wasted a scrap of any animal or plant they killed, and they were generous and gentle with each animal under their care.  I aspire to fulfill such standards and perhaps in my quest to be like these people, I have come to look like them as well.  (Facial transformations are an amazingly interesting field of science that everyone should look in to.)

My most recent assignment was to investigate myself through photography.  Like many of my assignments, I put it off until the last moment.  Even in the two hours I spent with myself I am amazed at the transition of thought and use of photographic elements that transpired.  I am sorry, but for the next couple of days whoever is reading this will be seeing and hearing a lot about me.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a rumor that because both sides of your father's ancestors came to Michigan along the St. Lawrence River, and that usually the men came from Europe first, that there may have been some inbreeding with the indigenous women. Grandma had dark hair.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts