An Investigation of Feathers

I think that feathers are one of the most outstanding creations of evolution.  Not only are they perfect for flight, they can be water resistant, act as insulation and are used to cradle eggs.  Many species other than birds have also taken advantage of their feathery friends.  Squirrels collect feathers and down for their own nests, humans used them once as writing utensils, and they are still used as decoration in many cultures.  The evolution of the feather just boggles my mind.  they evolved from reptile scales and even today can be found in several different stages of their morphological history.  They are one of nature's most complex creations with hundreds of tiny filaments, multiple different forms, and hundreds of different types that are species specific (check out pictures birds of paradise and peacocks).

In my photographic journey, I hope to find ways to explore feathers in their complexity, but also to simplify that complexity.  I want to knoow they are used by humans and nature  and how I can express those ideas best to my audience.

I am taking a bird watching class (a great place to see feathers, right?) and we have come across several birds of prey- many of which have been red tail hawks.  Native Americans believe that if a hawk crosses your path, you will receive good fortune that day.  When I see a hawk, that usually is the case, for I feel fortunate just to have the opportunity to view these amazing birds.  Today's class inspired me to start my exploration of feathers.  Below is my attempt to create a very simple yet interesting shot to introduce the texture of a red tail hawk's feather.






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts