Bird Watching

I love my Friday bird watching class.  Field Ornithology is its "politically correct" name.  Yes, you should be picturing me making quotation movements in the air when you read that.  Field Ornithology is a one credit class with no tests, no quizzes, and no assignments aside from being present every Friday morning from 7am to 10am and going out into nature to look for different bird species.  I know, I'm a biodork.

Anywho, I used to take birds for granted- except the really cool ones like hawks and parrots, of course- because they were everywhere.  I became numb to their beauty.  What I have learned in the past five weeks, however, is that birds are fascinating.  Their survivorship, their courtship, their navigation abilities, and their individual styles amaze me.  Did you know that there is evidence that a common pigeon in Colorado can hear such low frequency sounds as the waves crashing in both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans as well as the wind whipping across the peaks of the mountains in Alaska!?  Holy crap right?!  I have been reawakened to my love of birds.  I love their different flight patterns, their songs, and, just for the record, I already loved their feathers.

This Ross's Goose (Chen rossii) made for a beautiful image of poise while pruning.  Something interesting to note was that this image was taken on a Canon PowerShot G9 rather than my Rebelxs.  Pretty decent quality, huh?  Don't be afraid to borrow a friend's camera and demand copies of the shots you took.  Despite the quality, though, this photo goes to show that the things we see almost everyday can make exquisite photographs.  Go birding!

Comments

Popular Posts