Australia Zoo

Today was fabulous!  We took the train to Beerwah and immersed ourselves into the home and life project of my idol Steve Irwin, the
Australia Zoo.  I’ve never been in a zoo with such freedom granted to its inhabitants.  Many of the docile animals are free-roaming and there for patrons to pat and feed.  Connor and I beamed as we pet kangaroos, koalas, and a wombat, all major Australian icons.

It was a great birthday present from my little brother.  He does try, he really does.  I just find myself becoming frustrated with him because he needs much handholding.  It took me six minutes to confirm our travel route to the zoo that took him twenty and he still wasn’t sure of himself.  I have to pressure him into taking a turn in figuring out when we get off our trains, cook dinner, and do dishes.  It’s frustrating, especially because I feel that I am trying to instill some self-sufficiency into him under the judgmental eye of Robert.  Only about thirty more hours and we will be free of him and on our way to have a wonderful island adventure with people our own age.  I can’t believe it’s going by so fast.  But developing Connor’s survival skills are important because I’m also in the middle of trying to convince him to come back to Australia and work under a working visa because boy oh boy you can make a lot of money here. 


 Connor's a natural 'roo whisperer.

 I just scratch them in the right spots.
Kangaroos have the funniest and most unexpected claws and feet.
Terry Irwin baiting a crocodile.
Bundy Irwin taking after her parents...
Some guy showing us how crocodiles do the death roll.
The whole (late) Irwin family.  Apparently they're not always at the zoo but Connor and I got lucky enough to see them perform.  As someone who watched the Crocodile Hunter when I was little instead of that MTV crap, I was ecstatic.
The scaly parrot is very rare now in Australia
Funky looking birds.  Don't know what they are, but they're definitely funky.
Doves not even close to the colors of those from home.
Wombats!
The southern species of wombat is endangered and looks like a chinchilla mixed with a pig.
Even cooler is that they can go for walks.
What?  Haven't you ever seen a wombat on a leash before?
Australia is famous for its snakes and the zoo has many beautiful ones on display.

The red belly black snake is very venomous and Connor and I saw one while we were in the Blue Mountains.  
Australia's longest lizard.  I forget what it's called but it's pretty darn cool looking.
Tasmanian devil
 I unfortunately didn't get any pictures of wild dingos while we were on Fraser Island (post to come), but this is one from the zoo.  They look very different from the 'pure' wild species, though both look like your general pet dog.  It's just hard to remember not to try and pet them.
The Australian kuckabura is a very interesting looking but obnoxious bird.  It has worked its way into being my daily alarm clock.  

Comments

Popular Posts