Thanksgiving at Moyo Hill

Thanksgiving in Tanzania?  Instead of feasting with Native Americans we feasted with Native Africans.  Europeans did the same type of harm to them so why not?  Aside from the negative connotations associated with Thanksgiving, it is also a wonderful time to come together and share between cultures.  We have been learning so much about cultures in Tanzania that it was nice to share a bit of our culture with the faculty and staff here.  We cooked Thanksgiving dinner for them and they enjoyed it, which is surprising since most of them prefer their corn meal and water (known as ugali) to many of our dishes.  Our German professor even prided himself in taking part in his first Thanksgiving.  What a happy little worldly family we were.

But it was also a day of tears.  Holidays have a way of making you realize just how far away the most important people in your life are.  Many people here bought cell phone minutes and talked to their families for the first time since being here.  I myself got a chance to talk to a dear friend since my dad was too busy snowboarding to answer my call.  Just kidding Dad.  It was a surprise and doing what you love on your holiday is very important.  I know that.  For the first time here though, I cried tears of happiness at hearing my friend’s voice and for the void in my days where my family should be. 

Previously in the day we celebrated Thanksgiving as a group by going to a beautiful coffee plantation.  They also grow other plants like herbs, vegetables, flowers, and fruit and I learned so much.  I would love to start my own garden someday.  Afterwards, a handful of us girls went to the lodge and it was the best day I could have had.  It was nice to have a break from everyone and to enjoy a pool in quiet.  There are some people here who are a little irksome when they drink, so it was nice to enjoy my hard ciders in peace. 

Overall, it was a great Thanksgiving.  A breath of fresh air in the wake of DR before diving back into its depths.  It’s scary how time flies.  We only have two more weeks here and then Andrew and I are on our own!  
Who would've thunkin' cabbage could be so beautiful?

  




Comments

  1. Glad to hear you are doing well and you look so happy! I hope you had a wonderful holiday - you're friends and family are only ever a thought away.

    Much love, Tristen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts