Goodbye Moyo Hill

12/10/11

On our last day we finished packing, had a quick debrief, and I thought about how much I was going to miss everyone.  I honestly wish I could be everywhere with everyone at all times doing everything.  Life’s too short.  Our last night together we all went to a little bar called Happy Days and threw back a few drinks.  I haven’t been drinking heavily at all here and a few were all I needed to be loosey goosey for our dance party when we got back.  It was so good even Emily danced with us!  And then for the remainder of the night I wandered around, too sad to be in our empty banda, and too hot for Nuru to really be sitting still.  I swear I’m a born again virgin. 

And then the inevitable happened.  I woke up before my alarm on my last morning on Moyo Hill.  Everyone was doing the rush-around to be out of camp by 7:30.  Andrew had already lost his hiking boots (we think they were taken off his bag by someone) and I was trying hard not to be too bad with my initial goodbyes.  Honestly, they’re the worst part of going anywhere.  Then we all piled into the Cruisers for my last time and drove a few hours to the Arusha ShopRite. 

We pulled up to find Nicole’s dad waiting for her.  They will be traveling through Zanzibar together.  So many of us got teary eyed at their reunion, including myself.  I had to walk it off.  I really miss my Dad, but I was also so overjoyed for Nicole.  She is one person I definitely hope to see again.  Andrew and I hung around with the group for the hour they were lingering and then more goodbyes started.  They were initiated by Pascal, Ninah, and Livingston, my wonderful friends who drove me around for the past seven weeks.  They were so welcoming, fun, good for a laugh, and always patient with my horrible Swahili attempts.  Then Whitney, Christian, and Kioko.  Kioko had to hug it out several times, which was more than fine with me, and we exchanged emails.  I will miss him dearly.  I hope he knows how much he taught me, not only about ecology, wildlife, and Tanzania, but about living and his way of life in general.  He taught me so many things. 

Then it was time for my fellow peers.  The waterworks had begun.  I held it together but many did not.  Hugs were shared all around and then it was the most important for last.  Julia and Ashley.  My saving graces.  My sources of true and constant laughter, comfort, compassion, and honesty.  I am so grateful to them and it was hardest to tell them goodbye. 

And, as we were walking towards the taxi, there was Nuru.  Surprisingly, it was hard to say goodbye to him too.  I can’t explain it.  We just had a connection.  Then he said some things that made my heart flutter.  I just pretended not to know what he was saying.  Now I wish I hadn’t done that.  Do you think it would’ve been inappropriate to jump him as everyone was waving goodbye from the Cruisers?  Me neither!  What was I thinking!?  I hate regrets.  Oh well, Andrew and I, on our own. No one to tell us to wear sunscreen, drink water, get some rest, don’t drink more than two beers, don’t climb that tree, don’t put your head next to that lion, do this, don’t do that, but remember, have fun nonsense!    I had enough to worry about.

Bora (left) and Yori (right) were two of our four wonderful and dedicated askaris.  None of them spoke much english, but Bora is learning and Yori is wonderful to converse with in Swahili, as he is very patient.  
 Some last moments on Moyo Hill... Kioko looks like such a sad parent :(

Comments

Popular Posts