One Week to Go...

I can’t believe it’s the second day of December.  Time goes by so fast.  Just yesterday I was nervously asking people to remind me their names because I had forgotten them.  Today I know intimate details about everyone and can’t think of a day when I won’t see their faces, but that day is coming faster than I can explain.

The last six days have been a blur of computer screen, forgetting to eat, and cursing the power outages.  Today I turned in my rough draft of my Directed Research project.  I now know many of the significant factors driving bushmeat consumption in the Lake Manyara region.  I can die happy.  Actually, I feel like I’m slipping into a fatigue-screen-light-induced coma.  Either way, I just need some shut-eye and to get off this darned computer...

(Next Day)
Last night I put away the laptop and laid under the stars with one of my favorite people on campus.  I’ve mentioned her before, but Julia is an incoming freshman wise beyond her years and has such a wonderful heart.  She has been a saving grace to me for the last few days by reminding me that staring at a computer screen is not how I want to remember my last weeks in Tanzania.  How right she is.  She has gotten me out walking, playing Frisbee, and enjoying Moyo. 

I’ve also had the chance to speak with my family.  My brothers are finishing their diving certification in Utah this weekend in preparation for our adventures in Australia and New Zealand.  Connor, the brother I will be meeting in Australia the day after Christmas and backpacking the east coast with, is excitedly counting down the days.  I feel guilty that I’m not doing the same, but it’s hard for me to think past tomorrow let alone my trip to Rwanda and on to Australia.  Everyone here is getting excited about going home, but I don’t have that shared enthusiasm.  I’m excited for them, but moving so much in the last few years has gotten me into the habit of living day by day and thinking about tomorrow only when I have to. 

The days when Andrew and I will be on our own are on coming as fast as mosquitioes to my bare legs, but it hasn’t sunk in.  We have our first two days planned out but nothing after that.  I think flying by the seat of our pants will be just fine.  So far, our first plan is to pretend to be newly weds and attempt to get honeymoon deals.  Africa honors that tradition right?  Honeymoon sweet here we come!

Comments

Popular Posts