No More Class in Kenya!


Because the SFS Africa program is split between two countries, we undertake two different sets of finals.  We have just recently completed our Kenyan set and I was expecting them to be a lot harder than they were.  Before coming here I was informed by numerous alumni that this program is a GPA buster and every girl gains ten pounds.  Great choice for a study abroad program, right?  Well, I have yet to see why it is a GPA buster- as long as you’re willing to work hard and don’t expect this to be like study abroad experiences in Europe then you’re good.  The work isn’t nearly as draining as it can be at DU and studying for finals not nearly as rigorous.  All of the classes repeat and build upon one another and if someone didn’t understand the questions asked on those tests then they should probably just fly home now. However, I am slowly but surely seeing the sins of some added weight.  Every girl gains ten pounds and every guy loses ten pounds.  No matter how hard you exercise and watch how much of the amazing food you eat, that’s just the reality here and it’s really so worth it!

Where all other SFS programs give their students a week off at the midway mark, the Kenya/Tanzania program does not.  Where other students in other SFS programs get to travel by themselves to places like the Galapagos Islands and Cairns, Australia, our midpoint week is spent packing, taking a seven hour bus ride to our Tanzania camp, settling in, and getting to know the staff.  I’m not complaining, I’m just educating individuals reading this who might want to enroll for this program in the future. 

These last days in Kenya are very slow.  I love Kenya but I’m ready to go to Tanzania.  Since classes are over, there’s not much left for us to do.  We spend our days reading, watching movies, sleeping, hunting for pythons and other reptiles, and playing ball games.  That’s about all we can do, and even some of those activities can be out of the questions when the heat is unbearable. 

We did do something slightly different yesterday, however.  28 of us, including staff, donated blood at a local clinic.  There were patients checked in who received our blood transfusion that day!  The clinic was and had been out of blood for already a period of time and it was great to restock their stores.  Though I did not donate blood for personal reasons, I went as moral support for all of those giving blood.  For many of them it was their first time donating and they were nervous.  We can all do our part. 

I feel that our donation to the clinic was the perfect closure for Kenya.  Kenya and its people have given me so much in such a short period of time.  Everyone has been so welcoming, warm, and helpful.  They’re a beautiful people here and it felt good to give something back to them.  

Here are some pictures of me in Kenya.  It's obvious I didn't have any fun...

One of my good friends and colleagues from DU, Andrew Haertzen and I at a waterfall in Lake Nakuru.







Comments

Popular Posts