Maria: said like ‘Mariah’

This young woman is one of the most fascinating people I’ve met here.  She beat cancer this past year, has an amazing mindset for and relationship with her autistic younger brother, missed the first hour of a final exam because she slept in late then afterwards rushed through packing and left to work in the middle of nowhere for the summer, forgetting to grab any shoes but her hiking boots, then jumped on a plane for Africa, she loves geology and at any given point is carrying around way too many rocks picked off the ground and put in her backpack, she goes to Brown (so a smarty pants); she has better observational skills than most people, a great work ethic; and she is sweet, kind, funny, fun, thoughtful, thought provoking, and understanding. 

I would just like to dedicate this post to her.  She’s been an emotional rock, always full of calming and rational advice.  I am so glad I’ve gotten the chance to get to know her on this trip and I already have noticed how the lessons I’ve learned from her have started to change me.



Comments

Popular Posts