Mother's Day

For some time now (probably since I started to grasp the concept of money=work) I have been strongly opposed to commercial holidays.  They are just one more excuse to spend money one shouldn't be wasting on plastic crap that is unhealthy for the environment and probably will sit in a closet taking up space for ten years anyways.  If it is candy instead of stuff it will be taking up space for ten years in thighs and midsections or forgotten about in a closet and thus be just as equal to useless crap.  The one good thing about these holidays, however, is that they encourage people to get together.  Though I see my family pretty frequently compared to many college students, it is always nice to get together with them and do something new and different.

My fast approaching study abroad experience inspired us to go see Dance Africa at the Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Theatre.  It was a beautiful performance incorporating traditional, cultural, and modern dance with great music, slam poetry, speech, and personality.  I was skeptical at first that Connor and Garrett would enjoy it but there was a very long performance put on by break dancing crumping young men that they thought was spectacular.  It was also a great opportunity for me to work on my investigation of movement and the place was filled with brilliant colors- I was like a kid in a candy store.   

Anyways, instead of buying useless junk and unnecessary pounds, we spent time together.  If everyone did that society would be much more cultured, educated, healthier, and planet savvy.  






Comments

Popular Posts