Footprints

I sit here in the Phoenix airport watching the masses of people as they pass.  I wonder where they are all going and why?  As the plane descended I stared out the window at the sprawling geometric designs of development wondering where are we all going and to what end?  Humanity has made such a devastatingly large impact on our planet.  I can barely fathom the destruction we have caused with our mind boggling expanding numbers. Tthat which I can grasp causes my heart to disintegrate, tumble up through my esophagus in searing pain, erupt from my mouth in ebony plumes, and drift down to cover my clothes, my hair, my skin in ash.  Even though I anguish over this perpetual exploitation of our planet, I am not devoid of blame and I wear that guilt on me.  I came off of a fuel burning jet to get here, am sitting here next to a fair amount of material goods, am typing on this computer, and am contributing the the population crisis just by existing.  I am, however, improving my awareness of what I can do to minimize my impacts on our planet.  I turn off the lights, wash my hair every three days, buy used clothes, and "leave nothing but footprints" in the few places of natural beauty left to us in this world.

Comments

Popular Posts