Amboseli

Amboseli National Park is an amazing place.  If you ever get a chance to go, do it!  It contains wetlands that stay lush year round and so wildlife comes from all over the country during the dry seasons to feed on its lush vegetation.  When the rains come, the animals disperse and it's much harder to find African megafauna in large concentrations.  They pack in so tightly that it seems almost like one of the landscape pannings in Jurassic Park that show all the different dinosaurs in the valley living in harmony.  It doesn't hurt that most of the Amboseli animals are massive either to make this comparison.

Here is a little bit of what I've had the good fortune of seeing:


OMG! Do you see that tyranasaurous rex?!  Just kidding, that's an elephant.  I fooled you for a second though, didn't I?  We had to count all of these suckers and more without double counting or under counting and while also identifying and counting gender and age.  Don't ask me how we did it, but on the bright side, I am now a pro at ID'ing African megafauna. 



Ten little ostriches walking in a line.  One fell down and broke its spine.  Mama called the doctor and the doctor sighed, no more ostriches walking in a line!


Dust tunnels are everywhere.  It's a completely different world when you're standing in the middle of them.  Add 'stand in the middle of a wind/dust tunnel' to your bucket list.




 





The Maasai are aloud to come into the park to water their animals during the dry seasons.  Though they are not aloud to graze their livestock, they do anyways.

This is a moran, or Maasai warrior in traditional clothing.





This is a secretary bird.  They look amazingly prehistoric and can grow to be al a little over three feet tall.  Their main prey item is snakes and I desperately want to see one hunt and then feed.

Comments

  1. How amazing. I watched Sunday morning last weekend and said to myself, "I wonder if Jenny is getting to see elephants?" That answers my question and more.

    I guess I can tell my math students another reason for learning math is to be able to count animals. Ha ha... something they do in elementary school, although the statistics around having to count them is why they need to know how to count. I have another perspective when it comes to math now that I must say I didn't think much about. I will share that with Patti.

    Anyway, looks like it is an amazing experience for you getting to meet the people and enjoy nature at its best and worst. Hope you are getting some sleep.

    Love,
    Aunt Marci

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts