Seoul


The Seoul airport in South Korea was voted the best airport for layovers in the world, and for good reason.  The airport is easy to get around in, stay entertained in, and get out of.  The floor plan is simple and directions are eas to follow.  The building has an entire area dedicated to individuals with lengthly layovers, boasting spas, hot tubs, lounges, free internet access, shower rooms, a mini hotel, and even transit tours.  Having nearly a twelve hour layover made me jump on the option of a transit tour immediately.  Even if I was only exploring Korea for eight hours, I still got another stamp in my passport.  Heck yes!
Now, most people wouldn't have made this choice, not because it wasn't a good one, but because of the day.  It was the founder of North Korea's birthday and all U.S. missiles were aimed directly at it.  Who in their right mind would go out on Korea on a day like that?  Well, let me put it this way, South Korea is a different place, not to mention if the country were to get bombed, I'd rather be on a tourist bus somewhere than in the airport that has a massive "I'm a huge missile target" sign on it. Better to take my chances elsewhere.  And it was so worth it.
The Hana Tours tour began with a visit to one of the most historic waterways in the area.  Though it has been lined with cement, matching the city built up around it, it is still quite interesting to hear its old purpose as a very popular gathering place and to see that same purpose being lived out today.  People would come out to enjoy a coffee or tea together, to sit along the water's edge and relax, and also to congregate for market, from which I purchased an odd sort of candied sweet potato.  Tourists were common and taking many pictures.  I myself had to get a picture in, as I was in the very stylish socks I had just purchased to keep my feet warm under my flip flops and a borrowed XXL football player's trench coat.  Don't laugh, I had to stay warm and besides, you just wait.  In a few months, that'll be the style all over Korea.  It was quite dashing.
From the waterway we ventured to the most beautiful temple grounds I've ever seen, and I've seen many. It was the old home and prayer location of the ancient kings.  The architecture, detailed paint work, and blooming cherry blossoms all over the grounds made for a breathtaking scene.   As always, I was the last one to rejoin the group at every stop because I was going photo-crazy.
Lunch was at a traditional Korean restaurant.  Earlier in the day we were given main courseoptions that were then ready for us on arrival in addition to six very common dishes.  It was a great meal.  After lunch we were given about an hour to explore the adjacent market street and browse for souveneirs.  
Our final stop of the tour was a temple still used today.  They must've been nearing a holiday of some sort, as decorative lanterns were strewn up everwhere, more were being made by women in the courtyard, fabric was being dyed various colors with natural pigments nearby, and the temple itself was filled with hundreds of people chanting and bowing and bowing and chanting.
The whirlwind tour made for a fast and enjoyable layover.  I highly recommend anyone going through that part of the world and needing to lay over, to do so at Incheon/Seoul International Airport.  Going out and in through immigration was swift and easy, and what I saw of Korea was well worth it.
































































































Comments

Popular Posts