A Light in the Heart of Darkness

Okay, if you know any Edgar Allan Poe, you know that his short story "The Heart of Darkenss" has a lot to do with guilt.  As much as I love the reference, it has little to do with the content of this post other than someone's possible take that MY heart is indeed one of darkness.  Ha!  For those of you who have kept up on my postings for DU, you know that my vision of love is different from the majority in that it is wholly realistic, in that it criticizes the romantic relationships between many couples for being anything but romantic- usually caustic, and bitter, and disgustingly codependent.  Why subscribe to that?  I am skeptical in my belief that true love is obtainable for everyone.  And it's not going to happen for even the majority for many reasons, but as I have said in the afore-mentioned posts, it does rarely happen.  Every once and a while, the world reveals to me an example of true love.  My karma must be doing pretty good or the world is trying to send me a message, because it has lain out two.

Both of my bosses are in phenomenally functional, supportive, caring, and positive relationships.  You may immediately jump to the conclusion that I have not spent enough time with them to decide such, but in fact, I've seen these couples operate in many different environments now under many different circumstances.  You tell me that I don't know how a couple, who I've seen in the comfort of their own home and under stress after having lived with them for a week, truly operates.  I will tell you you're a fool for not seeing the horn on the horse.  (Brownie points for anyone who can name that movie reference, one of my childhood favorites.)

These two couples are spectacular in their unions.  One is comprised of a business man that travels the majority of the year and his foreign-born wife who holds their household together.  They married when she was very young and have created a family and been together ever since.  Every once and a while, she flies to meet him somewhere in the world so that they can have some alone time together.  Every once and a while, he takes a huge chunk of time off to be with the family.  He has his job and she has hers, and they make it work perfectly.

The other couple is truly note-worthy.  This is an example of two people who I admire and relate to on so many levels.  She works in travel and he in design, and are both very successful at what they do.  They met in a hostel while traveling.  Are you starting to see why their story resonates with me so much?  Ha!  She is strong-willed and independent and was far too focused to worry about guys when they met.  When they met, he caught her eye a little more than most, but there was a path she was on and she was following it with or without anybody.  He loved/s that about her.  Not much happened in that hostel, but their paths continued to cross on their travels and they stayed in touch when they returned home.  The rest is history.  What I love, and I do mean the word love here- consciously watching them together brings me great joy.  So what I love about these two is more than their history, it's how they interact.  They compliment one another so well.  They are best friends, and you can tell.  They joke, and make stabs at one another. They build off each other's dialogue.  One fills the weaknesses the other one nurses, and they encourage each other's strengths.  They are both flexible and generous and hilarious.  They're the type of people you want to be around, especially when they're both in the room.  They're the kind of people that have the relationship you'd be jealous of, but you can't be because instead you're overwhelmed by your happiness for them, for having found the real thing, for having found one another.

They say that if someone has what you want, you should emulate them.  Now, I am not saying that I want anyone any time soon, or even have the time for a someone.  At this point, he'd be the most neglected guy in the world.  However, I do believe that just spending time around these successful couples gives me hope and makes me a little more optimistic that a similar future may be waiting for me.  Additionally, it reminds me that finding that perfection is so wonderful, that settling for anything less just isn't worth it.  In saying such, I know that I am happy just me, myself, and I unless such a match to myself crosses my path.  I wish the same affirmation for you.  Best.

Comments

Popular Posts